What You Need To Know
- You can choose from clear/ceramic or metal brackets.
- You will change your ties (colors) every visit so have fun with it!
- After placing your brackets and wires on, you will be sore for 4-5 days.
- Soreness means your teeth are responding to treatment! We need your teeth
to be moving to straighten them out!
- There are some food restrictions during your orthodontic treatment. We will go
over a food list of things to avoid during your time in braces.
- Keeping up with excellent hygiene and maintaining regular visits to your
dentist during treatment is very important.
During your orthodontic treatment you will be seen every 4-6 weeks for a adjustment. We will schedule your next appointment prior to you leaving each visit. If you ever need to change your appointment, give us a call and we will be more than happy to arrange a different time to see you.
- Bonding appointments (braces on) about 1.5 hours.
- Adjustment appointments are about 15-20 minutes.
- Broken brackets that need repair are an additional 30 minutes. Please call our
office to inform us of any broken/loose brackets and we will adjust your appointment length as necessary.
The First Week With Braces
During the first week, try to eat soft foods: mac and cheese, noodles, soups, smoothies, and ice cream! You probably won’t feel like eating a steak or salad. You may feel like your teeth are a little loose… this is very common and to be expected. Your teeth will be moving and aligning throughout your treatment, so you should expect that sometimes your bite may feel a bit different as we correct it.
Fortunately, with orthodontic treatment there is not a REAL “emergency”. If you ever have a broken bracket, pokey wire, or any other concerns give us a call at the office and we will do one of the following things:
- Guide you through clipping your pokey wire
- Schedule you to come in ASAP
Adjust the length of time for your next visit to re-bond your broken bracket